More

Worsley Golf Club

Latest News :

Worsley Golf Club revealed as a True Hidden Gem

Sunday 28th June 2020

Mr Captain had to part with one of his new golf balls and the Ladies’ Secretary is address as “the Princess” – sit back and enjoy.
Read More...

WGC - Over 70 applications for membership processed in May 2020

Saturday 30th May 2020

It sounds like the secret is now out, that Worsley Golf Club is the place to be for the friendliness of membership and the quality of the golf course. In the during May 2020, over 70 applications for membership have been received.
Read More...

20-20 2020 Vision from the First Tee at Worlsey Golf Club

Monday 20th April 2020

Four weeks of nearly solid sunshine and not a ball has been lost from the Ist Tee !
Read More...

The Inauguration


In 1894, a year noted for the opening of the Tower Opening Day, 1894 Bridge and the Manchester Ship Canal, but more significantly the year Coca Cola was first bottled!; the game of golf was growing in popularity with a number of golf clubs already having formed in the Manchester area.

A meeting at Monton Memorial School, on 20th March 1894, instigated by local businessman Mr H Stafford Golland, led to the inauguration of Worsley Golf Club. A site for the course has already been ear-marked at Broadoak Park; part of the Earl of Ellesmere's estate. The newly formed committee duly appointed Mr Golland as Secretary and later the Earl of Ellesmere as President.

Events moved quickly, a week later the committee commissioned George Lowes, the Professional at St. Annes Golf Club, to design the course. Work commenced immediately with the greens completed at a cost of £20.15s.8d, and the first match took place on the new course on 28th April 1894.

Membership fees were set at an annual subscription of 1 guinea, with a joining fee of 2 guineas, and managed to attract an initial membership of 124.

After initially renting a room in the lodge at Monton Green the Club finally acquired its own pavilion in 1895, the building being erected where the present men's locker rooms are located. This in turn was replaced with a new Clubhouse in April 1897 at a cost of £1300. There were no further alterations to the Clubhouse until a substantial extension in 1923. The original pro-shop, which housed both the Professional and caddies, was the pavilion from Monton Cricket Club; purchased in 1901 for the sum of £7.10s.0d. This was replaced in 1913 by the current pro-shop.




“Challenging Golf in a Beautiful
Parkland Setting”

Tom Jones, London





Created by intelligentgolf version 10.1.2.
CONGU® is Copyright Council of National Golf Unions.