The old course would have looked strange to modern eyes with post and wire fencing protecting the greens as cattle and sheep freely grazing over the course kept the grass short. Individual trees were dotted haphazardly about the course often preventing a straight shot, and access to some holes required one to climb over stiles. The first cut from tee to green throughout the course took place in May 1895, even then the 'fairways' were laboriously created, being just 24 feet wide created entirely by horse power using a 3 gauge mower, It wasn't until 1925 when the club purchased its first mechanised tractor, that the whole course could be mown in just 4 days!.
In 1903 Harry Vardon the six times open champion played a 36 hole exhibition match against the then professional Alex Brown.
Vardon recorded a score of 71 to beat the existing course record, and afterwards commented that 'on no other inland course could one find a better test of golf', his one reservation after driving into the brook on the 14th was the position of the tee which was subsequently repositioned so as to extend the length of the 14th.
The next major alteration to the course was not until 1907/08 when the course was lengthened from 5122 yards to 5800 yards.
1920 saw the introduction of Sunday Golf, despite objects from the local clergy, and the start of a long battle for the Club Council to gain secure tenure of the course as ownership passed from the Earl of Ellesmere, to Bridgewater Estates, and finally Eccles and Swinton & Pendlebury Councils.
The threat from the developers had become acute during the 20's as a spectacular rise in housing developments resulted in Worsley Golf Course becoming landlocked.
However, in 1937 the future of Worsley Golf Club was secured as the Club Council managed to negotiate a 60 year lease with the two Local Councils. The option to purchase the course at a cost of £20,000 was rejected by the members. A further 60 year lease was successfully negotiated with Salford City Council in 1980.